Know all about the three Grand festivals of Gujarat – Navratri, Janmashtami, and Makar Sankranti and how to celebrate them
As fun-loving people Gujaratis are, Gujarat is also known as the land of many amusing and motley festivals with cultural diversity and rich heritage. Its beauty is in the way it celebrates many glorious festivals throughout the year, which are known worldwide. The wonderful Garba dance, jaunty Dahi handi celebration, and snappy kite flying ceremonies are some of the noteworthy examples of Gujarat’s vivacity which rendered it global fame.
People from all over the world come to visit Gujarat and experience these unique and lively festivals and celebrations. There is something in the air of Gujarat that makes you groove and sing with delight during the festive season. The top three grand signature festivals of Gujarat are listed as follows-
The International Kite Festival, also known as Uttarayan or Makar Sankranti:
The international kite festival of Gujarat is something everyone is familiar with. It indeed is a sight to behold with variegated kites soaring high up in the sky making various alluring shapes. It is celebrated each year on 14th January on the auspicious occasion of Makar Sankranti or Uttarayan.
The festival marks the day when winter recedes to summer. It is a sign for the farmers that the harvest season is on its way and a sign of amusement and joy for others. People also wear special traditional attires and savor special foods on this day.
They enjoy and gather on their roofs to fly kites with a cheerful ambiance. People enjoy the spectacular kite flying ceremonies by battling with each other. And when someone cuts another person’s kite, then the whole place resonates with the triumphant cries of joy- Kai Po Che!
The rituals of Uttarayan or Makar Sankranti
- All the houses are thoroughly cleaned and beautifully decorated with Rangoli, flower garlands, and mango tree leaves.
- People worship Lord Surya on this day.
- People take a dip in the holy rivers of Ganga, Yamuna, Krishna, Godavari, and Kaveri.
- Black til with molasses is distributed in temples, and among friends and family.
- Gud and til laddoos are also prepared on this day.
- Donations in heavy amounts are also done on this day to bring good luck and wash away the sins in the past.
- This day is also considered very auspicious for a new venture or performing any special event or ceremonies.
- People fly many kites during the whole day and enjoy the healthy fun-filled competition.
Your shopping list for Makar Sankranti or Uttarayan
The festival of makar Sankranti is incomplete without kites. No matter where in the world you are, you can still celebrate this auspicious festival of Uttarayan with ShoppRe. We will deliver your order from India within 3 to 6 business days anywhere in the world. Choose from a wide range of colorful kites and charkhi. Click here to view
Janmashtami, the birthday of Lord Krishna is widely celebrated all over the country but its vigor and enthusiasm are something else in Dwarka, Gujarat. Gujarati people adore Lord Krishna and many women consider his idols as their own child. They feed it, play with it, sing to it and bathe him just like a living child.
It is treated as one of the grandest festivals in the state. It is celebrated with full exhilaration where people spectacularly decorate Krishna’s idols and temples. Different sweet dishes and Prasadam are prepared with the aim of honoring the almighty lord.
Women across the state observe fasting for the entire day and eat food which has been prepared 2 days in advance. People proffer many offerings to the gods among butter which is Lord Krishna’s favorite food.
One of the biggest attractions of Janmashtami is the Dahi handi ceremony where a group of people forms a human pyramid, and then one amongst them climbs to the top to break the Dahi handi and the crowd cheers. It is a major part of the festival and grand prizes are awarded to the winning team.
The rituals of Janmashtami
- People worship Lord Krishna’s idol in a cradle. They bathe him in milk and dress him in new clothes.
- Devotees observe fast during the day and break it at the stroke of 12 at midnight with fruits and Prasad which is offered to the gods first.
- Many people prepare special Prasads and distribute them among friends and family.
- People sing devotional songs and dance.
What to buy for Janmashtami?
You don’t have to worry if you cannot shop for the required things for Janmashtami from your nearby market. ShoppRe provides you the opportunity to shop for authentic festival essentials straight from India. So whether you are looking for an idol of Lord Krishna, or new ladoo gopal accessories for him, we will ship your order from India safely.
Navratri, a nine-day extravaganza, has to be one of the most significant festivals of Gujarat which is celebrated around the months of October/November with immense pomp and grandeur. It is celebrated gleefully in other parts of India as well. The festival denotes the invocation of maa Shakti or Mata Rani which goes on for nine days.
During those nine days, the State comes alive when men clad in the most vibrant turbans and women in their sequin lehengas grooving in joy to the folk songs. People gather in large numbers in the spirit of this grand festival and enjoy dandiya nights, Garba songs, folk music, competitions, exhibitions, and free flow of mouthwatering foods.
It is an overall carnival. Navratri means nine nights, where nav means nine, and Ratri means night. On the tenth day, Goddess Durga, who is worshipped throughout the nine days, is immersed in holy water after performing pooja with loud music, and traditional processions.
The rituals of Navratri
- Each of the nine days of the festival is dedicated to different forms of the goddess Durga.
- After nine days, the great Dussehra festival is celebrated on the tenth day.
- People also worship nine young girls on a ninth day and offer them delicious food and new clothes.
- dandiya and Garba are performed for nine consecutive nights of The Navratri with fervor and enthusiasm.
- People also sow Barley which is considered as the symbol of growth and prosperity.
- The lamp lighting ceremony is also done to eliminate the negative energy during the nine days.
- Many people observe a strict fast for nine days.
- The fast is broken on a ninth day after the ‘havan’ and prayer
Gorgeous Navratri Outfit Ideas
You would want to look your best at such a grand festival, wouldn’t you? So now with Shoppre, you can shop from Indian online shopping sites for lehenga choli easily. get the most gorgeous lehengas from India that you can flaunt during those sparkling Dandiya nights.
Dress your kids in these adorable Garba outfits and see them jump from excitement. Also, the traditional silver jewelry which is a staple to Navratri will give you an elegant look. Beautifully decorated dandiyas in your hands will double the fun.
These super chic yet traditional lehenga cholis will make you the star of the dandiya nights and when you twirl and turn gracefully in these attires all eyes will be on you. Get ready to grab the attention with these unique and beautiful attires. Click here to view the product
So if you in search of an affordable, reliable, and trustworthy shipping service for shopping online from India, then your search ends here. ShoppRe also provides up to 60-80% low international shipping rates which makes sure that you always pay minimal rates.